Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Refinish Kitchen Cabinets

Hello,

I am sharing a completely different thing today.  My kitchen cabinets are a little over 7 years old.  They are not too old but they are not new either.  We installed them our self when we moved in.  The cabinets under the sink needed paint badly.  I wanted to paint the cabinets white but Victor objected to that and I didn't really wanted white cabinets either so I waited.  Then I stumbled upon this video.

Instead of used the expensive mineral spirit to clean the grease off.  I used white vinegar and water to clean the grease of the cabinets.  Then I sand the cabinets as much as I could. That was the hardest part.  The fun part was the painting. 

 This is the area under the sink before I painted.  The  color was golden oak.
Here is after I painted with Bombay Mahogany.

O.K, so the finished pictures don't look  good (blame my camera and my photo taking skill)  but my actual kitchen look much nicer than before.  Everybody that saw it, loved it.  I really like it. It looks like we had a new kitchen cabinets.  How long did it take me your were wondering?  I didn't do all in one time.  I cleaned and sand two doors a day.  I didn't want to over whelm myself and lose interest in doing the project so I took it easy.  Therefore, it took me about 10 days. Thank goodness I have a small kitchen.  I only had 16 doors to work with.  This is suppose to be a two days job.   But who's counting days? I'm counting the $$$ that I saved.  :)  I don't know how long this will last.  I painted many coats hopping this will last me a few years. 

That is it for now.  I need to go and finish painting Faye's room.

Helen

7 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Very nice, Helen.... I love the new color.. Bet it does look good in your kitchen.. AND--since you saved so much money, I'm sure all of the hard work was worth it.

Hugs,
Betsy

Chatty Crone said...

Now I need that done here - mine are 26 years old! lol sandie

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh they are beautiful - I need mine done - mine are 26 years old. sandie

Patty O'Malley said...

Looks great, Helen!

chillin with Quillin said...

looks awesome Helen love the rich dark color, alot better !!!!
Paula

Ann said...

The cupboards look great Helen. Just think all that money you saved on the kitchen redo you can use for craft materials....lol
My kitchen was redone 13 years ago so it's ready for a new look

Katie, Julep and Derby's Mom said...

Great choice Helen ... now that you're done you can have more time for fun crafting projects!

Also I love - love - love the card that Faye sent me - it just came in the mail today. Hope you're enjoying this beautiful weather ... and happy creating!
Katie