Friday, November 20, 2009

How to make a hard album cover

Hello,

Today I like to share how I made my album covers.  I used to make 4 x 4 brag book albums.  They were not popular.  Some people didn't even know what's a brag book album is.  A few months ago I met a friend and she asked me to make her a 6 x 6 album.  I liked how it turns out and kept making 6 x 6 album since then.  I've seen lots of mini albums online but they were all soft covers.  I like mine sturdy so I created hard covers for them.  I used cereal box.  Yes, you've read it right, cereal boxes and  not coasters.  I made my covers a little bigger then the album pages.  My album pages are 6 x 6.  I made my covers 6 1/2 x 6 1/2.  This way I had a quarter inch all around the album pages.

Supplies: 2 - 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 ( card board from cereal boxes)
              2 - 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 (card stocks)

 Place the card board in the center of the card stock and score all around.
 
Tip:  I used the back of the butter knife as my scoring tool.  It works great! I have to give my husband credit for that.  I had a hard time using my plastic scoring tool so my husband suggested that I used the back of the butter knife.
 
Fold on score lines and cut off the four corners.
 
Apply adhesive (of your choice) all over the card board and place it on  the card stock.  I used Modpodge. Using your palm to smooth the card stock.  Then apply adhesive on the four flaps and press it down to finish off the cover.  Since I used modpodge,  the cover curved a little.  So after I finished, I placed the covers under  heavy books  for a few hours or until it dry.



After it dried, I  glued them to the album.  I always used liquid glue for my album binding.  I knew it will stick.  Tape runner sometime doesn't always stick.

 
Cut two pieces of 6 x 6 coordinating designer papers and adhere it to the front and the back and decorate.


 Here is the view from the spine.
 
 Thank you for stopping by have a wonderful weekend.

Helen                                                                                                                                                   

3 comments:

Creations by Patti said...

Helen - this absolutely awesome and fabulous!!! I like the recycle "chipboard" that is being used........great job...........can't wait to see more albums. hugs, Patti

Whimcees said...

Cereal boxes are great to use! I also use the liquid glue to adhere paper to large areas. Your husband's suggestion to use the bread knife was just what you needed! Love your albums!

Barbara Diane

JustNeedling said...

Great tutorial! I love that you reuse the cereal boxes for your covers!